The Maxwell House building was built in 1905. It originally housed the Canada grocery store and E.J. Dunton Plumbing company. In 1933 prohibition ended and in 1934 the Maxwell House became a tavern and restaurant. It holds the oldest legal liquor license in Spokane Washington. There have only been 5 owners in its history with the last being Rich and Kay Culnane who ran the Maxwell House successfully from 1970-2020.